Sunday, December 28, 2008

Maybe

This is a poem I wrote for my English final, we read each poem aloud and then had to guess who's poem belonged to who.  Does this one sound like me?


Maybe

Maybe I could have been a southern belle
All curls and parasols
Scarlett and hoopskirts
Flirtations at barbecues
Suffering bravely and romantically through the civil war
But my hair doesn't hold a curl, I don't know how to flirt, and hoopskirts make it hard to balance
Maybe I could have been a medieval princess
All trains and veils
Braided hair and arranged marriages
Jousts and tournaments
But I would trip over my skirts, I like my toothbrush, and knights never fawn at my feet
Maybe I could have been a Shakespearean heroine
All mistaken identities, dressing like a boy
Falling in love with the wrong person
Sharp wits and a sharper tongue
But I can never think of what to say, I stumble over my words, and I am awkward
Maybe I could have been one 's Jane's girls
All empire waists and spencer jackets
Bonnets and bows
Walking in the rain
Exchanging meaningful glances with the man in tight trousers across the room
Figure dancing my way into someone's heart
But I cannot dance, my looks are usually misconstrued, and walking in the rain makes my mascara run

Maybe I could have been Jo, or Elizabeth, Wendy or Anne
I could have written a book, almost married the wrong man, fallen in one-sided love
Maybe my life could have been tragical heroic romantical
Maybe, just maybe
But maybe, I am just me
Stumbling, tripping, hesitating 
Pausing, frightened, wavering, uncertain
Sitting on fences
Chewing on my finges
But maybe I can be me
Maybe that can be enough

2 comments:

Mariah "Sniggs" said...

does that sound like you?...maybe.

HeidiLynn said...

Oh Sniggs, you slay me with your wit!