Friday, July 17, 2009

quick status report.

It's 12:30, I am at the Big Sky Lodge in Rapid Falls, South Dakota. My parents are sleeping. My dad is snoring a little.

This trip has been amazing so far. I am completely falling in love with America. It really is astounding how huge it is, how many places there are, and how different each place is. So many gorgeous thing to see, and fun things to do.

We started drove about 10 hrs the first day and paid a visit to Kirtland, Ohio. Cleveland is a pretty cool city too. We visited the temple, which was kind of weird. It's now owned by the Community of Christ, formerly the RLDS. For a place where so many amazing spiritual things happened, it really almost felt devoid of the Spirit. After we toured there, we went to historic Kirtland, owned by the LDS church. We stepped foot in the visitor's center, were greeted by an earnest missionary couple, and my parents immediately started to cry. The difference was palpable. That tour was so wonderful.

Then we stopped in Chicago. Hot, sticky, sweaty and AMAZING. Maybe my new favorite city. My life was changed when I finally saw, in person, a Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte, by Georges Seurat in the Institute of Art.

Then it was 13 hrs across the gorgeous farmlands of Wisconsin and Minnesota all the way to South Dakota. I spent much of this time conked out, leaning against the cooler that takes up more than half of the back seat which i currently feel like I'm living in. Fun though, I loved it.

Today we toured the Black Hills. The scenery was breathtaking. I think my favorite thing that we've seen so far is the Crazy Horse memorial. I'll write more about that later. We also drove through Custer Park and saw the amazing Mount Rushmore. Then we came back to our little hotel and sat in the hot tub for a much needed relaxer. Tomorrow we leave at 7 to drive to Yellow Stone! Please bless we don't get eaten by bears


I don't know if this made any sense. I'm going to sleep. Goodnight and I love you all! ...whoever reads this blog, and cares anyways haha

1 comment:

Whit said...

Ok, is this not the coolest road trip EVER?!!!! Oh, and I agree-Kirtland Temple was a little weird. You could totally feel the Spirit change as you went into the LDS Visitors Center. Amazing huh? Oh well, it was a cool thing to see I guess. Hope you're having fun and being safe! No bears!