Monday, May 4, 2009

Real Friends

I went the the broadcast of Elder Bednar's CES fireside at the singles branch, and after several technical difficulties, I was able to sit back and marvel at the words of a true apostle of God. The talk was so timely and so necessary to our generation. I really loved hearing it. The talk was about how Satan gains power over our generation by encouraging us to misuse, and minimize the importance of our physical bodies. One of the huge emphases of his talk was the dependance on technology that our generation has, and is gaining more and more. This is something that I see in myself, and am worried about, but don't really take the time to address. I have a huge dependance, if not addiction to the internet, and am slowly gaining a dependance on my cell phone. (Ironically I am blogging about this) Anyways, this has also become more of an issue to me since I've been back home. I've been holed up in my house for most of the time, becoming best friends with our DVR, and watching television shows online. I don't have too many friends back here in CT, and am feeling a little school-sick for the ones back in Utah and that one crazy gal in the Holy Land. It's been a little hard adjusting to my new-old life, and I feel as if I've been leaning on movies and television and books, rather than real life experiences. These characters have become my new friends. Sometimes I seem to care more about Agent Booth and Bones' relationship than having one of my own, I swoon at Nathaniel's glances at Cora in The Last of The Mohicans (really though, wow.) and at Dr. Hunt's three word policy to Christina (seriously that one is amazing, AMAZING) and I laugh at the antics of the Doctors at Sacred Heart hospital, and sigh with a smile at the romantic bickering and happy ending of One Fine Day I can't wait to get a job, and start working on the projects my parents have given me (well, I'm not too thrilled about overhauling our rock path, or cleaning the lawn furniture, but still) It's clear that I need something to do. I miss real people.
On a happier note, I got into the next level of acting class, the improv class! Woohoo! I am on my way! I just need to keep working hard, and I might be able to get into the acting program at the earliest next winter, which would be extremely exciting. SO with that carrot dangling, I will press forward with steadfast faith. I'm mixing my metaphors, but I've been ironing and watching Scrubs all day, what do you expect?

No comments: