Wednesday, May 20, 2009




Woohoo! It's time for more awesome things from my favorite blog 1000 Awesome Things!

#863 The Perfect Egg Crack
It makes you feel like you actually know how to cook, even when you're just making scrambled eggs, or a brownie mix. It gives you a special edge of "kitchen expertise" even when you really have none.
#860 When the vending machine gives you two things instead of one
After living, almost solely, out of vending machines for an entire school year, this awesome things is extra awesome, though it rarely happens. Also, this one time, on the 2nd floor of the Wilk, next to the Native American Beauty Queen pictures, someone played "Vending Machine Santa" and left a bag of doritos in the bottom of a vending machine. I snagged it before class. That was awesome
#858 The other side of the pillow
The perfect cure to not being able to sleep. Even if it doesn't help you sleep right away, it definitely helps you feel better.
#857 Getting the big corner stall in the public bathroom
I always head for this one first.
#854 Crying
If I'm having a bad day, or if I'm just watching an embarrassing chick flick for the 100th time and crying like clockwork, the minute that he steps out onto the baseball field and "Don't Worry Baby" by the Beach Boys plays (ahem, no movie specifically) it just evens me out, and makes me feel better. Best stress relief there is, in my opinion.
#853 When your microwave pops microwave popcorn perfectly
My love of popcorn should make this self-explanatory.
#852 The smell of the coffee aisle in the grocery store
Oh man. I love the smell of coffee so so much. I think it's one of the best smells in the entire world. I'd add the smell of Dunkin Donuts to this.
#848 Old folks who sit on their porch and wave at you when you walk by
I want to be one of these.
#843 Getting out of the car after a really long trip
Streeeeetch. This makes me excited for my cross-country road trip!
#838 The smell of freshly cut grass
#837 Pushing those little buttons on the soft drink cup lid
I always do this. Always.
#834 Building an amazing couch cushion fort
#833 Pouring a drink where the bubbles go right to the top but not over
#832 Finally having your ears pop back to normal long after a flight or swim
#830 Salt
I think I like salty things more than sweet. I'd way rather have a bag of cheetos than a bag of starbursts.
#829 Smiling and thinking of good friends who are gone
I think the blog was referring to those friends who have died, but I'm thinking more about friends who I'm far away from. I know, it's not the same, but this is my modified Awesome Thing List. Whateva.
#828 Remembering what movie that guy is from
Oh my gosh. THE best feeling. Anyone who know me, knows that when I can't remember this, it drives me absolutely insane.
#813 Museum gift shops
You have to stop in. I mean, where else can you buy commemorative rocks and CDs of cultural music from Native American to Celtic?
#810 Returning to your warm and comfy bed after getting up to pee in the middle of the night
#807 That one really good pen that never gets lost
If it writes really smoothly, you've got a winner. Most of the time it's from a hotel, or a doctor's office, advertising some kind of new medication that you hope isn't for anything embarrassing.
#804 Gym pain
Oh man, knowing that you've worked hard? The. Best. Actual physical evidence of your hard work. Gym pain generally leads me to delusions of fitness, leading me to give myself an extra snack or something. One step forward, two steps back.
#802 Watching something download really fast
Oh my gosh. I would have never thought that someone else would find this as satisfying as I do! I remember when I had dial-up internet (Oh man, I'm such a child of the 21st century... embarrassing) I would wait for hours for a movie trailer to download.

Here are some that I've thought of, myself!
#1 When you hear about something once, and then hear about it several times that day or week.
This happens to me ALL the time! It's so crazy! You have to wonder if it would have happened anyway, and you just wouldn't have noticed, if you hadn't heard about it the first time. This happened to me last week, when on two different medical TV shows, the mystery illness ailing the patients was Familial Mediterranean Fever. I mean, really?
#2 Songs with lyrics that apply directly to you
Even if it's a sad song, maybe especially if it's a sad song. It always makes me feel a little bit better. Well, worse. But I get to have a nice little wallow and pity party for myself when I hear those songs!
#3 Delicious snacks that are ALSO healthy
I am a committed eater of things that are not good for me, but are wonderfully tasty. I'm not a picky eater at all. I'll probably eat anything that's put in front of me, but in terms of snack foods, I tend to go for those things saturated in salt, or glowing with the wonderful magic of artificial cheese. But it's marvelous to find something that I actually eating, that won't kill me by clogging my arteries. Lately it's been edamame heated up in the microwave, and almonds dipped in honey. Delicious!
#4 When you look at the clock, and it's exactly 11:11
Get your wish ready!
#5 The little notification for a new message/email/blog comment
So exciting! The potential! It could be anything! This also makes me a total child of the 21st century again. ugh. gross.

1 comment:

Bennett and Stacie said...

Heidi, this is so adorable. I love it and completely agree with everything mentioned. My thoughts: #1: This one happens to me all the time too...such a bizarre phenomenon.
#5: I get a strange thrill of exhiliration when I have a notification/blog comment too, hence, the reason for this comment. We are one in the same.
Hope your summer is going well, love you!